Gumby World

My kids, my life, my need for a sanity check.

Thursday, August 30, 2007

At Times My Nation Shocks Me....

I won't go on about politics. I may roll my eyes and shout at the TV but it is getting bad when your Government steps over the line and you just think "Again?".

No, it is when we charge students with attempted murder over a fight that occurred when they felt helpless, hopeless, angry and beaten. I can not believe our country is still turning a blind eye to the racism that still exists. I have heard people say that others are just "too sensitive" that in our day and age these things do not happen. That these black students had to be imagining those nooses hanging from the tree. That the black student that wrestled the GUN away from the white student was the aggressor and couldn't take a joke. This makes me angry. This makes me sad. I wonder how these kids thought it would be ok to make a NOOSE much less hang it for all to see. I wonder how these kids thought it was ok to PULL a gun on another individual. I wonder how these kids learned that it was important to BRAG to people that another student was "whipped by a white man". Parents be careful what you say. Be careful what you do. Be careful what you think. Our kids are watching. We need to change this now. Don't think it isn't happening in your town. Beware. Be kind. Let's change.

1 Comments:

  • At 1:32 PM , Blogger Jennifer said...

    I've heard this story and it makes me so, so, so sad.

    Parents be careful what you say. Be careful what you do. Be careful what you think. Our kids are watching.

    You said that beautifully and you hit the nail right on the head.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home