Gumby World

My kids, my life, my need for a sanity check.

Sunday, August 19, 2007

You Know The World Is Different From When You Were a Kid....


when you have to look up a word on the 1st grade homework sheet. Sigh. I remember Kindergarten and First Grade as a time of play, learning to fill in bubbles, learning to tie my shoes, play, picking up my first book, play. My 6 year old daughters homework instructions for the week are:

  • Create an ABBC patterne adn an AABB pattern with any item you have at home.
  • Go onto the internet and find a picture of the President of the USA and the Governor of Arizona. Under each picture please write their name.
  • Draw three sets of shapes (6 total) that are congruent to one another
  • Write 2 sentences about what you would do if you were the President
  • Make sure you have earned a total of 50 points for the get 50 activity
  • Write 1 sentence about what yiou want to be when you grow up
  • Write 2 sentences about something you can't do now that you want to do when you are an adult
  • On construction paper cut out 2 triangles, squares and rectangles. Glue and label them onto your paper turned different directions. Do the names of the shapes change?
  • Dictate the following sentence to your child: I went up and down the hall. After make sure they remembered to capitalize the first letter in teh sentence, finger spacing and an end mark.
  • Have an adult give you a pre-spelling test. Write each misspelled word 3 x's.
Thank goodness I married a math minor AND have the internet since I had to go and look up what congruent meant!

3 Comments:

  • At 8:14 PM , Blogger Jennifer said...

    Draw three sets of shapes (6 total) that are congruent to one another.

    Um...yeah. Let's hope this is NOT part of my soon-to-be second grader's first week, or I'll be looking some things up too!

    But the "Find a Picture of the President and write his name" part could be kind of fun. Wouldn't it be just cool if she wrote "Bozo the Clown" under Dubya's mugshot?! ROFL!

     
  • At 9:18 PM , Blogger Kimmykay said...

    I am so laughing cause Jeff told me that she should just draw a clown picture and put bozo under it! LOL. Last week she had to draw the white house and tell who lived in it. She wanted to draw an igloo and a polar bear. Jeff said to let her take the hit and do that than do the "right" thing. LOL.

    And I had to look up "congruent"... means same shape, same size objects. LOL.

     
  • At 11:10 AM , Blogger Chelle Y. said...

    Great! I am in trouble now, and I graduated with a math degree. Haha!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home