Gumby World

My kids, my life, my need for a sanity check.

Thursday, October 04, 2007

A Thought To Make You Think...

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron. ~ Dwight D. Eisenhower.

We increase the spending for the war but we can't increase the funding for a program that insures children have health care? This hits home. I did not have health insurance until I was 24 years old. My parents worked hard. We had the basics. There was always that cloud of fear that someone would get very sick. We were luckier than most. My Great Uncle was a Doctor and we did have basic health care. The running theme in the house was to not get any sicker than needing to see the Doctor.

More and more children (and adults) are not able to access the health care they need. It is not because they are not working. Most families that do not have insurance work more than one job. It is a sad state that our country is pumping more and more money into one area but can't help our children. I think someone needs a time-out to spend a day with families that are busting their tail to provide for their children/family but that one thing is just out of reach. Oh, and I think a certain someone needs to read a certain section in the Bible again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home