Gumby World

My kids, my life, my need for a sanity check.

Monday, May 01, 2006

End Of The School Year.....



I know. I should have 5 or 6 more posts by now. But I do have a good excuse. It is the End of the Semester! It is during this time that students hang around my office trying to see if there is any way they can pull an A (Um... NO! That would mean you have to pass a few tests). I have stacks to grade. I've even given extra credit. Do you know who uses the extra credit? The students that already have an A. Sigh. I usually don't even grade the extra credit until I have everything else graded because it never fails. A student will have a 98% and have turned in extra credit.

My other favorite student response is those that have a nice strong B wanting to know what they need on their final to get an A. I say close to 100%. Then they e-mail me after grades are posted and wonder why they didn't get that A. Um, I don't like you??? Maybe, just maybe it is because you didn't make a 100% on the final?

This semester has been rather trying and I feel for all the kids' family. So many family members and friends died this semester. How many people die in a 5 mth period. I could name 8 people I've known that has died in the last 10 years that I had to go to their funeral. I just don't get it. I get so frustrated at the end that I tell students I would need photo history of their dead grandpa (who seems to be the one to bite the dust most often) before I accept their excuse on the upcoming test. My apologies to all grandparents and friends out there that might get killed off in the Fall.

I'm sure I'll have some fun stories after finals next week. Keep tuned in. I'll bring the latest.... Hopefully in a couple of days and not weeks.

2 Comments:

  • At 5:59 PM , Blogger Jennifer said...

    Happy End of the Semester! I can only imagine the "things" teachers see and hear and how sweet the words "end of the year" must be.

    (p.s. Um...why so many deaths??)

     
  • At 6:59 PM , Blogger Kimmykay said...

    They are just excuses. I swear I never killed off anyone during my 4 years of college. LOL. I hate to seem so ... um not trusting... but after the 4th or 5th funeral of the semester I just don't really believe them anymore.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home