Gumby World

My kids, my life, my need for a sanity check.

Wednesday, November 07, 2007

My Head in the Sand and then my Heart...


We did it. We had the MRI on Georgia done. I know most of my "Not Needing To" feelings were from "Not Wanting to Know". Ignorance is Bliss. The MRI came back as "normal" for someone with NF-1. She does have a benign tumor on her optic nerve but it is not interfering with anything. The image of her brain did show bright spots that just confirms that she has NF but nothing else. We knew she had a mild form (for now) and this just helped confirm it. She will have another one in a year to make sure that there are no changes and then we wait. We wait and see. I guess that is the hardest thing as a parent to hear. There is nothing we can do, we just wait. Granted we do that with all our kids.. wait and pray that all we do is the right thing and they grow up to be happy and healthy adults. But here we also wait and see how this will affect her when she is 13, 18, 21, and so on.

My heart was so sad on Friday. I went to pick up my girls from school. Normally Georgia is running and trying to "win" getting to the car before Catherine. That wasn't the case on Friday. On Friday I pull up and she is dragging her backpack behind her. She is sad. She opens the door and she is crying. I ask why and she says she did get to go to the Popcorn party her class had. She "didn't do good". I now am livid yet trying to cheer up my poor sad 1st grader. Why? Because her teacher sent home a homework packet during their Vacation. It had about 20 pages of math (with at least 15+ math problems on each page), around 35 pages of language/writing pages and 15 pages of writing (she had to write 3 sentences using the proper punctuation for each page). We had not finished the packet correctly the teacher said and Georgia needed to finish. We did. We sent it back. The teacher never got the packet. Georgia and 3 other kids missed the fun because of this. I tried to remain calm but have to admit I'm seeing red. It is amazing how a normally laid back mother is ready to go confront a teacher. My heart is sad (and just a little bit angry). What would you do?

2 Comments:

  • At 2:22 PM , Blogger Chelle Y. said...

    I am happy to hear that the MRI went well. Mine was good too.

    As a parent, I cannot imagine the pain of waiting. I am the "Georgia" in this case. All I can say is that things did not get harder until my thirties and even then it was not so bad.

    She has such a loving family and that makes all the difference in the world.

     
  • At 7:40 PM , Blogger Jennifer said...

    Oooo, I'm NOT liking that school/teacher policy. In first grade?? That is just. not. right. imo. I would definitely talk to the teacher (once I'd calmed down enough!). Keep us posted on that.

    I don't know all of the background, but I'm gald to hear you got good news on the MRI.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home