Gumby World

My kids, my life, my need for a sanity check.

Thursday, June 08, 2006

It's All About Their Legs.....

I've been watching my kids grow for 11 1/2 years now. I find each stage amazing (and frustrating at times). They are a wonder to watch. I find myself filing away images in my head of them so I'll have them later.

Andrew had to stretch every time I picked him up when he was a baby. At 2 we got him a fwimsuit with floaties and he would jump off the side of the pool and fwim (not misspelled, how he would say it!). At 5, he started public school with some anxiety but the power of Mom's magic rock got him through (I had given him a shiny rock and told him that when he missed me all he had to do was reach in his pocket and hold the rock and think about me and I would know and close my eyes and think about him... After school I gripped at him cause he almost made me run off the road when I had to close my eyes. He thought that was funny). At 7, he loved his bike and I can see him zooming around the college campus asking me to time him as he rode around. At 9, he started Taekwondo. Watching him do his jump kicks, higher than his head, and board breaks... Amazing. Now he is 11. I went to cover him up during the night and he is close to hanging off the bed. His legs are looking like man legs, muscles and all. Silly me but I started crying (I know I'm pregnant but keep watching their legs and see if you don't!).

Catherine loved her baby swing. It didn't matter what age that first year she would rather be in the swing and swinging her legs. At 3 she wanted to be a ballerina. She was a chubby baby and toddler. I would look at her legs when she started dance and just smile. They looked so cute in pink tights and ballet slippers. At 5 she took off to school without a rock or a look back. She practically danced into class. At 9 I saw her leap across stage and I saw those ballerina legs. I admit I teared up.

Georgia is my knobby kneed child. She loved to stand and lock her knees on my legs. I swear she was a strong one. I don't know how she did it but she loved it and laughed when I tried to sit her down. At 2 I noticed a cafe au lait spot on her leg, an another and another. I never really worried about them until we took her to the doctor for a check up. At 3 she was diagnosed with Neurofibromatosis 1. At 5 she still has those knobby knees. She was sitting and playing with playdoh yesterday. Her knees were practically in her face. Where will they take her. And yes, my eyes got watery.

Charlotte was my short stubby baby. Her legs were on the short end of the family. I love seeing the difference in all their baby legs. She is now almost 3. I was watching her run down a hill the other day. There was no hesitation on her part. Just on my side. I'm not ready for those legs to grow up but they did.

4 Comments:

  • At 6:44 AM , Blogger mamatulip said...

    I wasn't ready for Julia's legs to grow up, either! I can't wait to see what kind of leggies the next one has. ;)

     
  • At 1:19 PM , Blogger Kimmykay said...

    It's funny the things you notice. With Charlotte it was obvious that her legs were stubby compared to the other kiddo's. I'm waiting to see if Charlotte will have freckles like Andrew and Catherine. I remember Catherine crying cause she didn't have freckles like Andrew. For both, they popped out their 3rd summer. Georgia doesn't have them. Love it. LOL.

     
  • At 11:48 AM , Blogger Mary said...

    Jakey has slender legs--won't be a climber in the Toud De France ;), but Clara still has some chub, plus muscles. She'll be the climber, Jake can be the sprinter.

     
  • At 10:15 AM , Blogger Jennifer said...

    Oh, I love little legs. ...*sigh*...

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home