Gumby World

My kids, my life, my need for a sanity check.

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

My Daddy... I Miss You.....





I find it hard to believe it has been 3 years since he has died. Probably one of the hardest days of my life was not at his funeral but when he asked my permission to stop fighting. He was such a fighter.

Here is who my Dad was:

  • Smart-- I would just hold the phone up to my car making some awful noise and he would tell me exactly what was wrong and how much it would cost to fix it.
  • Funny -- I think I have his dry sense of humor. I had to always reassure my friends that my Dad really did like them and he was always that way. He had the most wonderful smile.
  • Giving -- Jeffs and my car (little datsun b210) broke down when we were in college. My Dad hitched up a trailer, brought us a clunker that ran and took our car down to be fixed. It was a 3 hour trip 1 way.
  • Thoughtful-- One lady had a very old truck (it even had a crank starter) and my dad would drive miles out where she lived to help her keep it up. I remember going out there and watch him work on that truck. She hated coming into town. She paid him in vegatables and other goods.
  • Hard-working-- I can only remember a couple of times in my life that he took off of work because of illness or any other problem. He would have customers call him with car problems all the time and he was there.
  • Spiritual -- My dad was ordained as a Southern Baptist Preacher when I was around 9 years old. He had a small country church. There were times the wasps outnumbers the church members but he was there.
  • Loving -- He loved so many people... My mom, brothers, sister, myself, Reba, her children, his grandchildren, his brother and his family, his parents, his church, God. He tried to be everything he could be for these people in his life. And we loved him for that.

He was so much more and my life is just a little bit less with him not in it. I miss him.

5 Comments:

  • At 3:34 PM , Blogger mamatulip said...

    Aw, Kim...I so know how you feel. This post made me tear up a bit. You've talked of losing your father over the years (years? Good grief!) that I've known you but it's nice to read more about the man he was. Thanks for sharing him with us.

     
  • At 9:58 PM , Blogger Allison said...

    Oh Kim, he sounds WONDERFUL. ((((KIM))))

     
  • At 10:29 PM , Blogger HB said...

    ((((Kim)))) - I'm so with you, sweetie! Your dad was a wonderful guy - thanks for sharing him with us.

     
  • At 10:44 PM , Blogger jeanne_bean said...

    {{{Kim}}} Your dad sounds like he was a terrific man. I suspect you get your loving and generous nature (and more) from him.

     
  • At 6:13 AM , Blogger Kimmykay said...

    Thanks everyone. Cancer is a bad word. He was only in his 50's. It sucks.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home