Gumby World

My kids, my life, my need for a sanity check.

Saturday, July 29, 2006

Wah, It's Hot!

This is what I feel like. Last week was so bad that if I had candles like these they would have looked like these. I'm usually not a cry baby when it comes to the heat but being 30 weeks pregnant gives me some rights. Whining is one of them. It wouldn't be so bad but we have an old house with high ceilings; add an old air conditioner and Arkansas heat and humidity and you get one cranky pregnant momma. To top off all that my air conditioner in my van is cranky and works when it wants to. This usually means... High heat/humidity=I won't work.... cool front/low humidity=blast cold air and freeze you.

I guess when you are a kid you don't really think about all the heat and humidity. We had 1 window unit for our house growing up. You had to convince the keeper of the living room (my mom who sat in front of the unit) that it was necessary to come in the room and if we did we would stay for 30 minutes or longer. She would close off that one room and it would be an iceberge. She came from Colorado and hate Arkansas heat. We would spend our summer days running around the neighborhood, walking to the community pool, drinking from water hoses, wading in creeks... being gone all day long with no worries. Now kids have cell phones, ID kits made at the beginning of the school year, bacteria from the water hoses, toxin levels too high to wade in creeks... life has changed.

My favorite place to go to on a very hot summer day was near my Grandmothers house. She bought a house in town that was across the street from the city park. At that park was a spring. The water was drinkable and so cool. In the summer our shoes would come off and walking in the stream of water was the best way to cool off. The other place close to my Grandma's that was the best... the library. I just walked across the park and sat with TONS of books and lived the high life. I loved that park and library. For me, Grandma had the best house in my town.

2 Comments:

  • At 7:58 PM , Blogger Candy said...

    Ugh... In 2000 when I was pregnant with Jamie, it hit 115 here. I was working upstairs in the loft of our home at the time - yes, it was open to the high ceiling of the living room. Tom came home to me sobbing in the bath tub it was so hot. He took me out to dinner after calming me down (yeah, crazy preggo lady)... hang in there, honey...

     
  • At 4:21 PM , Blogger Kimmykay said...

    I remember that summer. It was so bad. Of the two summers I will take this one. If I remember correctly there were 17 straight days of 100 degree temps. It was horrid. I guess I should count my blessings. LOL.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home